A total of six Tennis student-athletes, including all three doubles pairings, were named All-ODAC on Tuesday. Additionally, two Tigers were honored as singles participants.
Burns posted a 17-2 overall record in dual matches, going 16-2 at #6 and 7-1 in league play. He finished the year winning 11 consecutive singles matches. Burns defeated Second-Team honoree Michael Mortera 7-5, 6-3.
The Moody Twins form one of the best doubles teams in the region. The duo has gone 20-2 in dual matches with a 9-1 mark in ODAC play. They went 3-0 against the other All-ODAC #1 pairings and have posted a 36-4 overall record and a 19-1 ODAC record in dual matches over their two-year career.
Burns and Cummings teamed up for the last eight matches of the season, going 7-1 together. Overall, Burns was 12-6 at #3 doubles while Cummings was 8-5 at #2 and 7-1 at #3 for a 15-6 mark. They handed Washington and Lee their only doubles loss of the season vs. an ODAC opponent in the ODAC Championship match and they twice defeated the second-team pair in Juan Borga and Colton Mullins of Lynchburg. Individually, the duo boasted the two best overall singles records in the league entering the ODAC Tournament with Cummings going 19-2 and Burns 15-2.
Matthew Moody posted a 15-5 mark in dual matches while going 8-2 in ODAC competition. He has won nine of his last 11 matches that were played to completion. Matthew defeated fellow second-team honoree Borga of Lynchburg 6-3, 4-6, 10-5 in the regular season and was one point away from a straight sets win against him again in the ODAC Tournament. Four of his five losses came to either a Division I, Division II, or a #5 regionally ranked DIII player.
Driskill and Young teamed together for the last eight matches of the season, going 5-3. For the season, Driskill went 14-8 at the #2 flight while Young combined to go 10-8 at #2 and #3.
OLD DOMINION ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
Men's Tennis All-Conference - Honorees
ODAC Player of the Year: Harry Shepherd, So., Washington and Lee University
ODAC Coach of the Year: Dave McCain, Guilford College
ODAC Rookie of the Year: Elijah Gregory, Fr., Guilford College
ODAC/Va. Farm Bureau Insurance Scholar-Athlete: Tate Godwin, So., Guilford College
ALL-ODAC FIRST TEAM
- #1 Singles: Tate Godwin, Guilford College
- #1 Singles: Harry Shepherd, Washington and Lee University
- #2 Singles: Mason Robb, Guilford College
- #2 Singles: Josh Rodgers, Bridgewater College
- #3 Singles: Zack Ely, Washington and Lee University
- #4 Singles: Thomas Harmon, Washington and Lee University
- #5 Singles: March Zheng, Washington and Lee University
- #6 Singles: Grayson Burns, Hampden-Sydney College
- #1 Doubles: Nick Gunther/Mitchell Perry, Virginia Wesleyan University
- #1 Doubles: Matthew Moody/Michael Moody, Hampden-Sydney College
- #2 Doubles: Elijah Gregory/Mason Robb, Guilford College
- #3 Doubles: Grayson Burns/Clark Cummings, Hampden-Sydney College
ALL-ODAC SECOND TEAM
- #1 Singles: Juan Borga, Lynchburg College
- #1 Singles: Matthew Moody, Hampden-Sydney College
- #2 Singles: Mitchell Thomas, Washington and Lee University
- #3 Singles: Elijah Gregory, Guilford College
- #4 Singles: Graham Pearson, Guilford College
- #5 Singles: Anthony Wilson, Virginia Wesleyan University
- #6 Singles: Michael Portera, Virginia Wesleyan University
- #1 Doubles: Darian Diaz/Matt Hwang, Shenandoah University
- #1 Doubles: Joe Dillenbeck/Josh Rodgers, Bridgewater College
- #2 Doubles: William Driskill/Levy Young, Hampden-Sydney College
- #3 Doubles: Juan Borga/Colton Mullins, Lynchburg College