Posted: May 06, 2018
Washington and Lee defeated Hampden-Sydney Tennis 5-1 in the ODAC Championship match on Sunday. It was the Tigers first appearance in the championship since 2011.
- Final Score: Washington and Lee 5, Hampden-Sydney 1
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 16-6, Washington and Lee 12-6
- Location: Norfolk, VA – Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Generals entered the match 33-0 against ODAC teams in doubles competition this year and 70-2 over the last two seasons. Matthew Moody and Michael Moody won at #1 doubles in the regular season last year.
- The Tigers lost at #1 and #2 doubles by respective scores of 8-4 and 8-3, but Clark Cummings and Grayson Burns picked up a 9-7 win at #3 doubles after leading 7-4, handing W&L their first and only loss against ODAC doubles teams this year.
- The Generals opened up singles play with straight set wins at #2 and #3 to lead 4-1
- Matthew Moody went to three sets against Harry Sheppard, the #5 player in the region, but ended up falling 6-2 in the third as Washington and Lee clinched the match.
- Hampden-Sydney concludes the season with 16 wins, the most wins for a Tiger team since before 1993.