Posted: Sep 22, 2018
Hampden-Sydney Soccer defeated Shenandoah University 2-1 on Saturday behind two first-half goals.
- Final Score: Hampden-Sydney 2, Shenandoah 1
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 3-3-1, 1-1 ODAC; Shenandoah 3-4-1, 0-2 ODAC
- Location: Winchester, VA – Shentel Field
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers struck first in the 32nd minute as Hunter Weiland sent in a long forward pass into the box that found the head of Cody Brugos, where he redirected it into the back of the net
- Just a little over two minutes later, Niko Reinson took a corner kick and connected with Jacob Siler with another header goal to put H-SC up 2-0 at 33:24
- The Hornets halved the deficit four minutes later when Derrick David capitalized for a goal at 37:05
- The score would remain 2-1 going into halftime, and strong defensive play after halftime saw Shenandoah record just one shot that was saved while H-SC had three attempts with two being saved
COACH DINUZZO'S COMMENTS
- "Tough game today against a much improved Shenandoah team. We had an opportunity to put the game away fairly early, but to their credit, they battled back and made it difficult for us until the end. All in all, we are glad to get out of there with a win and hopefully will learn from this."
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
FOR THE FOES
- Derrick David found the back of the net one time
STATS OF THE GAME
- H-SC outshot SU 8-5 with a 6-3 advantage in shots on goal
- The Tigers drew three corner kicks while allowing just one
- A foul-plagued game by Shenandoah, they were whistled for 22 fouls and booked with five yellow cards. Hampden-Sydney was called for just 10 fouls and issued one yellow card.
- Hampden-Sydney will square off with Randolph-Macon on the road on Wednesday at 4:30 pm in Ashland, VA.