Posted: Nov 15, 2017
Averett University defeated Hampden-Sydney Basketball 80-66 on Wednesday night in each team's season opener.
- Final Score: Averett 80, Hampden-Sydney 66
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 0-1, Averett 1-0
- Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA – Fleet Gymnasium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Averett led 11-7 just over three minutes into the game, but defenses settled in from there and neither team would make another shot from the floor until a Kevin Quinn three-point play put the Tigers down 12-10 at 13:12
- A Timothy Henry layup at 11:22 gave the Cougars a six-point lead, 16-10, but the Tigers scored the next seven to go in front 17-16 with 9:50 left in the first half.
- The Tigers trailed just 26-25 with 4:48 to go until halftime, but Averett closed out the half on a 9-0 run to go into intermission 35-25.
- H-SC started off the half on a 7-2 spurt to trim the deficit down to five, 37-32, but Averett answered with a 7-0 to go out in front 12, 44-32, at 16:46
- The Tigers managed to cut the deficit down to five a few more times and trailed by just six, 68-62, at 3:06 following five consecutive points from Raheem Anthony.
- Averett would go on to score the next five points to go up 11 with 1:55 to play and led by double digits most of the rest of the game
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- Hunter Kuehn led four players in double digits for H-SC with 16 points. He shot 7-9 from the floor and blocked three shots
- Raheem Anthony scored 11 points to go with seven assists and two steals
- Malik Crute chipped in with 13 points
- Kevin Quinn registered 10 points
FOR THE FOES
- James Contreras Jr. led tallied a game-high 19 points to go with eight rebounds
- Vince Contreras added 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds
- Montre' Cash recorded 10 points, four assists, and four rebounds
- Jalen Burnett chimed in with eight points and seven boards
STATS OF THE GAME
- Averett shot 42.6% for the game compared to a 37.5% mark for Hampden-Sydney. They also led in three point percentage – 30.8% vs. 18.2%.
- The Cougars dominated on free throws to the tune of a 24-36 performance while the Tigers registered just 19 attempts, making 14
- AU controlled the glass 50-29, grabbing 18 offensive rebounds leading to a 21-8 advantage in second chance points.
- The Cougars also led 17-6 in points off turnovers and 11-4 in fastbreak points
- Hampden-Sydney heads down to Greensboro, NC on Friday to participate in the Daly Seven Tip-Off Classic hosted by Guilford College. The Tigers square off against Huntington at 5 pm on Friday and follow with a 4 pm tip time vs Concordia (TX) on Saturday.