skip navigation

Tigers Earn Big ODAC Win Over Generals

LEXINGTON, VA-Hampden-Sydney snapped a two game skid with a defensive minded win over Washington & Lee to improve the Tigers to 9-6 on the season. With the win, Hampden-Sydney ended a three-game road stretch and will get set to return to the friendly confines of Fleet Gymnasium to face arch rival and tenth ranked Randolph-Macon College.

In the low scoring first half, it was Washington & Lee's Jeremy Adkins who scored first to take a 2-0 General lead one minute into the game. After over two scoreless minutes, sophomore Patrick Corrigan (Richmond, VA/Collegiate) tied the game 2-2 with a lay up of his own.

The two teams traded scores and were again locked at 4-4 at the 13:54 mark. Two minutes later, Randall Ward (Richmond, VA/John Marshall)hit a lay up that gave Hampden-Sydney its first lead of the night which it would not relinquish in the remaining 30 minutes of play.

A Ru White (Chesterfield, VA/L.C. Bird) dunk later extended the lead to five, and with five minutes to go in the half, Ward connected on a jumper that pushed the lead to seven at 15-8.

After the Generals responded with a Taylor Gilfillan lay up, Harrison George (Raleigh, NC/Leesville) scored the and-one lay up to go up 18-10 with 4:12 remaining in the half.

Washington & Lee then had an offensive burst that led to a 9-2 run over the next two minutes that cut the Tiger lead to 20-19. Freshman Khobi Williamson (Norfolk, VA/Maury) stopped the run with a lay up of his own. The Tigers then took a 23-19 advantage into the locker room at the break.

Hampden-Sydney was too much to handle to start the second half, pushing its lead out to ten on a Colin O'Neill (Fort Leavenworth, KS/Leavenworth) at the 16:58 mark.

The Generals slowly chipped away, but a George triple put the Tigers back up ten at 37-27 with 14:37 to play.

Minutes later, Hampden-Sydney took its biggest lead of the night as sophomore Andy Fox (Oak Ridge, NC/Northwest Guilford) threw down a dunk to put his team up 44-29. Washington & Lee, though, hung around and at the 7:26 mark made it a single-digit game at 51-42.

The teams traded baskets, with no team gaining much of an advantage. A George lay up with 2:44 to play put Hampden-Sydney up 13 at 61-48. One minute later, however, Jon Guest hit two foul shots that put the Generals within nine at 63-54.  

After Ward put it back to a ten point game, the Generals chipped away and trailed just 67-62 with 26 seconds left, but it was not enough as Ben Jessee (Midlothian, VA/Cosby) iced the game with free throws.

George led all scorers with 26 points on an impressive 9-of-11 shooting performance. White was the only other Tiger to score in double-figures as he added 13 points. As a team, Hampden-Sydney was solid from the floor, shooting 50% on 24-of-48 accuracy. They were out rebounded, however, 44-31.

Washington & Lee was led by J.D. Ey's 13 points. Guest and Adkins also had double figures with 12 and 11, respectively.

Hampden-Sydney will return to action this Saturday, January 22 as they host arch rival #10 Randolph-Macon. Tickets are available from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM in the Kirk Athletic Center and will also be available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults, $3 for students of other schools, and Hampden-Sydney students get in free with a valid student ID. Tip-off is set for 7:00 PM.