The Hampden-Sydney Tennis team defeated sixth-seeded Lynchburg College 5-0 in the ODAC Tournament Quarterfinals on Wednesday afternoon. The Tigers will face the winner of #2 Guilford vs. #7 Randolph-Macon on Saturday at 4 pm on the campus of Virginia Wesleyan University.
- Final Score: Hampden-Sydney 5, Lynchburg 0
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 15-5, Lynchburg 9-10
- Location: H-SC Tennis Courts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Matthew Moody and Michael Moody made quick work of Will Nsoesie and Zack Shane, 8-1, at #1 doubles
- Clark Cummings and Grayson Burns trailed 5-3 at the #3 flight but fought back to lead 6-5. Lynchburg bounced back to go ahead 7-6 and then 8-7, but the Tiger duo won an eighth game to force a tiebreaker where they dominated 7-2
- William Driskill and Levy Young led 6-3 at the #2 slot, but Lynchburg mounted a comeback to force a tiebreaker. However, the Tigers came out on top 7-3 in the tiebreak to get the doubles sweep
- Cummings had little difficulty taking down his challenger at #4, Colton Mullins, earning the win 6-0, 6-2 for a 4-0 lead
- Burns clinched the match for H-SC at #6, topping Nick Savino 6-4, 6-1 to end the match
- Matthew Moody led Juan Borga 6-0, 5-3 at #1 and was up 40-0 for match point
- Driskill was up on Luke Sablik 7-6 (7-3), 2-0 after trailing 4-1 in the first set
- Michael Moody was close to victory at the #3 spot vs. Nsoesie, 6-4, 5-0
- Hampden-Sydney plays a to be determined opponent in the semifinals on Saturday at 4 pm at Virginia Wesleyan University.