TENNIS TIGERS TOPPLE VIRGINIA WESLEYAN
HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA (March 4, 2010)– The Hampden-Sydney tennis team opened the ODAC portion of their 2010 season with a 9-0 win over the Marlins of Virginia Wesleyan College on a sunny day at Hampden-Sydney yesterday. Throughout the match, the Tigers were too strong for the Marlins, who were injured coming into the match and sustained yet another injury during it as Zak Bartley had to withdraw from the #2 doubles with an ankle injury.
Hampden-Sydney was prepared for their first home match of the season and everyone showed good concentration and control. The doubles pair of senior William Moss (Fredericksburg, VA/Fredericksburg) and junior Rich Pugh (Augusta, GA/Lakeside) showed why they are one of the premier doubles teams in the ODAC with a solid 8-1 win. At the #3 doubles spot, junior Tal Covington (Gainesville, VA/Flint Hill) and junior Zack Pack (Keysville, VA/Randolph-Henry) played a strong match with few errors, prevailing 8-0. Hampden-Sydney swept all six singles matches without dropping a set, and all of the Tigers were focused and played within themselves.
With the win, Hampden-Sydney improves to 2-0 on the year, including 1-0 in the ODAC, while Virginia Wesleyan falls to 0-5. The Tigers will have almost two weeks off before returning to action on Tuesday, March 16th when they travel to take on Ferrum College at 4:00 pm. That match will begin a tough stretch of four matches in four days for the Tigers.
1. William Moss (HSC) def. Devin Crosby (VWC): 6-2, 6-0
2. Rich Pugh (HSC) def. Donnie Greathouse (VWC): 6-0, 6-0
3. Shad Harrell (HSC) def. Luke Blum (VWC): 6-0, 6-1
4. Kevin Calhoun (HSC) def. Wels Lawrence (VWC): 6-1, 6-0
5. Tal Covington (HSC) def. Darrell Fountain (VWC):6-0, 6-0
6. Zack Pack (HSC) def. Todd Lauver (VWC): 6-0, 6-0
1. Moss/Pugh (HSC) def. Crosby/Greathouse (VWC): 8-1
2. Harrell/Calhoun (HSC) def. Bartley/Lawrence (VWC):7-4, retired
3. Pack/Covington (HSC) def. Blum/Fountain (VWC): 8-0