LEXINGTON, VA (March 20, 2009)–Hampden-Sydney took its first loss in conference on Friday as they fell to Washington & Lee 7-2. The Tigers struggled as they played without Rich Pugh (Augusta, GA/Lakeside), so everyone had to play up a spot. Hampden-Sydney saw yet another singles win fromWilliam Moss (Fredericksburg, VA/Fredericksburg) who defeated their no. 1 spot player Brent Meyers.
The Tigers also saw a huge performance from Phillip Parrish (Richmond, VA/Douglas Freeman). Parrish lost his first set 6-2 to Jonathan Gaffney, but never gave up. Down 2-4 in the second set, he made a strong comeback to win in a third set tie breaker giving the Tigers their second win of the day.
With the loss, Hampden-Sydney falls to 4-3 and 3-1 in the ODAC.
The Tigers return to action on Monday, March 23 as the Tigers travel to Danville, VA to take on Averett University at 3:30 pm.
1. William Moss (H-S) def. Brent Meyers (W&L): 6-1, 6-4
2. Jeremy Becht (W&L) def. Shad Harrell (H-S): 6-2, 6-2
3. Jamie McCardell (W&L) def. Zack Pack (H-S): 6-1, 6-4
4. Michael Freeman (W&L) def. Kevin Calhoun (H-S): 7-5, 6-1
5. Ben Fass (W&L) def. Tal Covington (H-S): 6-1, 6-0
6. Phillip Parrish (H-S) def. Jonathan Gaffney (W&L): 2-6, 7-6 (13-11), 10-5
1. Brooke/Gaffney (W&L) def. Moss/Holzapfel (H-S): 8-1
2. McCardell/Meyers (W&L) def. Harrell/Calhoun (H-S): 8-4
3. Becht/Freeman (W&L) def. Pack/Covington (H-S): 8-3