skip navigation

Tigers Beat Macon 14-11, Advance to ODAC Tournament Semifinals

Mike Funk
Mike Funk

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA – Hampden-Sydney Lacrosse ended Randolph-Macon College's season with a 14-11 win in the ODAC Tournament Quarterfinals in a game marred by torrential downpours. The Tigers advance to play Roanoke College in Salem, VA, for the Semifinals on Saturday at a time to be determined.

Mike Funk (Chantilly, VA / Middleburg) was hot all game long and got things started at the 10:44 mark with a goal to give Hampden-Sydney a 1-0 lead. James Hughes (Raleigh, NC / Middle Creek) followed by scoring a man-up goal with an assist courtesy of Abbot Wallenborn (Crozet, VA / Western Albemarle), putting the Tigers ahead 2-0 at 5:49. The Yellow Jackets used a two-minute unreleasable penalty against H-SC to grab momentum as Ryan Davidson scored less than a minute into the penalty. The Tigers man-down defense was able to prevent another EMO goal on the penalty to keep it a 2-1 game after one quarter.

The Yellow Jackets found themselves man up just 15 seconds into the second frame and capitalized when Nick Benhoff fed Jason Andrews to tie the game at 14:06. The Yellow Jackets then seized the lead at 11:45, going up 3-2. Hughes tied it up about 20 seconds later, but Joseph Edwards found the back of the net at 10:52 to put R-MC back out front, 4-3. Hughes scored again, this time off a Funk pass, to knot the game at 4-4 with 9:39 left in the first half. Funk then delivered another assist to Duncan Morris (Charlottesville, VA / Christchurch) to put Hampden-Sydney back on top 5-4, and he put one in the cage on his own with 50 seconds left before halftime to give the Tigers the 6-4 lead at intermission.

The third quarter proved to be an even bigger shootout than the second with 12 total goals being scored in the period. The Yellow Jackets Justin Butler was on fire throughout the quarter, scoring four of R-MC's five goals, but the Tigers countered with five goal scorers in the quarter. Hampden-Sydney maintained their two-goal advantage with 6:39 left, but consecutive scores from Hughes, Funk, and Wallenborn in less than two minutes put the Tigers up 12-7 at 4:13. Butler, Morris, and Kyle Snodderly rounded out the third quarter show to make it a 13-9 Hampden-Sydney lead going into the final frame.

Claps of thunder loomed nearby at the start of the fourth, but there would be no delay as the storms stayed off in the distance. Edwards pocketed a goal at 13:23, and Butler scored his fifth tally of the game at 9:14 to tilt momentum towards the visitor's way, slashing the Tiger's lead to 13-11. The Tiger defense locked up the Yellow Jackets for the remainder of the contest, and a Hughes goal at 7:04 proved to be the final goal of the contest.

Funk tallied seven points on four goals and three assists, Hughes posted five goals and an assist for six points, and Morris contributed a hat trick. Thomas Armstrong (Charlotte, NC / Charlotte Latin) and Wallenborn each tacked on a goal and an assist. Jared Arntzen (Atlanta, GA / Blue Ridge) went 10-18 on face-offs.

Butler scored five times for the Yellow Jackets, Edwards tallied two goals, and Benhoff and Jason Andrews each had a goal and an assist. Benhoff also went 6-9 on face-offs before succumbing to a game-ending injury after slipping on the wet field.

Hampden-Sydney committed just 12 turnovers on the night while Randolph-Macon had 17, and H-SC outshot R-MC 37-28.

Stay posted to for more information regarding Saturday's ODAC Semifinal contest.