skip navigation

Lacrosse Holds Off Furious Guilford Rally to Win 11-10 in Overtime

Duncan Morris
Duncan Morris

GREENSBORO, NC – Guilford rallied from a seven-goal deficit early in the second half but lost 11-10 in overtime on Wednesday evening.

The game looked to be all Tigers throughout the first half. H-SC led 3-0 after the first and 6-0 going in to halftime. H-SC opened the third scoring another goal to lead 7-0 less than a minute into the second half. Guilford's offense woke up from there, scoring the next four goals to draw within 7-4 at the 4:22 mark of the third frame. James Hughes (Raleigh, NC / Middle Creek) scored just under a minute later to end the Quakers run, but Chase Rogers answered with a goal at 1:16 to make it 8-5 going into the fourth quarter.

Rogers scored a man-up goal 23 seconds into the fourth to draw within two, 8-6, but scores from Thomas Armstrong (Charlotte, NC / Charlotte Latin) and Jake Koferl (Huntersville, NC / Lake Norman) pushed the Tigers advantage back out to four, 10-6, with 7:41 to play in regulation. Rogers scored at 6:45, and Adam Fiore followed with a goal at 4:53 to make it a 10-8 contest. Randon Hassell found the back of the net at the 3:11 mark, and Rufus Terry scored in transition off a turnover to tie the game at 10-10 with 2:54 to play. Hampden-Sydney won the ensuing face-off and drew two 30-second pushing penalties, served back-to-back, on Guilford's Ian Wiesenberg but the lone shot during the extra-man opportunity went wide as the game went into overtime.

Hampden-Sydney started overtime with the ball due to Guilford still serving a penalty but turned it over within 30 seconds. Following a Guilford timeout at 3:24, a Daniel Hughey shot at 1:54 was stopped behind a tremendous David Noftsinger (Richmond, VA / Collegiate) save as Ned Bowden (Crozier, VA / Collegiate) corralled the loose ball as it bounced high into the air off the save. The Tigers cleared the ball and called a timeout. Guilford's Terry was called for pushing as Guilford was man-down for 30 second starting at 1:06. With five seconds left on the penalty, Armstrong fed Duncan Morris (Charlottesville, VA / Christchurch) a few yards out and towards the right of the goal, and he ripped a shot into the back of the net to win the game.

Hughes paced the Tigers with four goals while Morris posted two goals and two assists. Koferl scored twice and dominated on face-offs, winning nine of his 11 attempts with seven ground balls. Armstrong, Mike Funk (Chantilly, VA / Middleburg), and Fleet Jernigan (Kill Devil Hills, NC / First Flight) each tallied a goal and an assist.

Rogers led the Quakers with four goals while Fiore contributed two scores and an assist. Dylan Haupt handed out three assists, and Thomas Deane made 11 saves.

H-SC held a 30-22 advantage in ground balls but had 19 turnovers compared to just 15 for Guilford. Hampden-Sydney won 14-of-23 face-offs but was outshot 38-32. Neither man-up offense could get much going as H-SC was 1-7 compared to a 1-3 output for Guilford.

Hampden-Sydney hosts Shenandoah University on Saturday at 1 pm at Lewis C. Everett Stadium. A webcast will be available.