skip navigation

#12 Washington & Lee Deals Tigers 11-10 Loss

Mike Funk
Mike Funk

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA – The #12 Washington & Lee University Generals defeated Hampden-Sydney 11-10 on Saturday afternoon on the final day of the ODAC men's lacrosse regular season.

Washington & Lee's Tyler Goldman put the visitors up 1-0 at 10:14, but Thomas Armstrong (Charlotte, NC / Charlotte Latin) scored on the man up at 8:57 to even the game. Garrett Paglia, Will Douthat, and Cameron Dabier scored the next three goals to give W&L a 4-1 lead with 1:54 remaining in the first quarter. Ryan Martin (Midlothian, VA / Cosby) found the back of the net off a Corey Mavromatis (Virginia Beach, VA / Cape Henry) assist to make it a 4-2 contest after one quarter of play.

Dabir opened the second frame with an unassisted tally, but Jake Koferl (Huntersville, NC / Lake Norman) and Armstrong provided the game's next two goals to draw the Tigers within one, 5-4, with 2:28 to play in the first half. Paglia pocketed a score at 1:15 and Dabir found Luke Heinsohn with just one second to go to put the Generals on top 7-4 heading into intermission.

Dabir contributed his third goal of the contest less than two minutes into the second half to give the Generals an 8-4 lead. Mike Funk (Chantilly, VA / Middleburg) answered less than a minute later at 12:43, and the goal proved to be the spark plug for the Tigers comeback. James Hughes (Raleigh, NC / Middle Creek) scored on an extra-man opportunity at 11:37. Funk found the back of the net again at 9:16, and Martin provided the tie-maker with 5:36 left in the third to make it an 8-8 game. Mac Means and Dabir ended the run with back-to-back goals just 12 seconds apart to go back ahead 10-8, and Hughes closed out the third with a goal with 1:15 remaining.

The fourth quarter proved to be a sloppy affair with 10 combined turnovers as W&L used the turnovers to slow down the game and keep the ball out of the Tigers end of the field. Cooper Brown scored what proved to be the game-winning goal at 7:25, but W&L committed two costly penalties with just 55 seconds left to give Hampden-Sydney a two-man-up scoring opportunity. Funk made the Generals pay with a goal off a Hughes pass with 30 seconds remaining, but the Tigers were not able to get the ball back after Jared Mitchell won the ensuing face-off.

Funk led Hampden-Sydney with three goals and three assists. Hughes posted two goals and one assist while Mavromatis had three assists. Martin and Armstrong each contributed two scores. David Noftsinger (Richmond, VA / Collegiate School) was stout in net as he made several point blank saves and had 10 stops on the day with five ground balls.

Dabir contributed four goals and two assists for Washington & Lee, Paglia had two scores, and Brown tacked on a goal and an assist. Warren Berenis made eight saves, with all but one coming in the second half.

Washington & Lee outshot Hampden-Sydney 38-25, including a 22-6 advantage in the first half. H-SC held a 28-26 advantage in ground balls, but W&L committed just 12 turnovers compared to 16 for the home team. The Generals won 13 of the game's 23 face-offs. Extra-man opportunities proved to be a big difference maker. The Tigers went 5-for-7 while the Generals, the best man-up percentage team in the ODAC, was limited to just 1-for-4.

The Tigers will earn either the #3 or #4 seed in the ODAC Tournament and will host Randolph-Macon or Virginia Wesleyan College on Tuesday in a quarterfinal matchup at a time to be determined. Please stay tuned to or the Tigers social media for more details.