H-SC Lacrosse to Host Christopher Newport on Wednesday
HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA - Tiger Lacrosse will host the Christopher Newport University Captains on Wednesday at 4 pm at Lewis C. Everett Stadium. To view the game notes, please click here. The game will be webcasted along with live stats. With wintry weather in the forecast, there is a possibility the game will be postponed or moved to the Hellmuth-Pritzlaff Turf Field. If the game is moved to the turf field, there will be no webcast and live stats will be weather dependent.
- Hampden-Sydney earned a 9-7 win on the road on Saturday against perennial NCAA Tournament team Ohio Wesleyan.
- H-SC led 4-0 with 10:47 left in the second quarter, but the Battling Bishops tied the game at 6-6 with 9:24 to go in the third.
- The Tiger defense then held OWU to only one goal over the final 24 minutes while Jess Hawthorne scored the game winning goal and sealed the game with an insurance tally with just 1:13 remaining.
- Hawthorne scored four goals whule Thomas Armstrong, Mike Funk, and Corey Mavromatis contributed multiple points.
- David Noftsinger made nine saves, including seven in the first quarter.
- Brad Mostowy won 9-of-17 faceoffs and Jake Koferl went 2-for-2.Christopher Newport fell 10-9 to visiting Mary Washington, a team H-SC beat 9-8 in the season opener for each squad.
- John Bohlinger and Sean Dacey combined for four goals on 14 shots against CNU but did not play against H-SC.
- Johnny Esposito and Jared Golden combined to go 10-22 on face-offs against the Captains but went just 6-18 against the Tigers. Jack Bondurant also lost his four face-offs against H-SC.
- The Captains own two wins over Randolph and Randolph-Macon.
- Hampden-Sydney lost 8-7 in overtime at Christopher Newport on April 18, 2012.
- The Tigers appeared to have the game won in overtime but the goal was waived off due to having a player in the crease.
- Ryan Martin scored the game-tying goal off a Carter Mavromatis assist with 1:29 left in regulation.
- Micah Keller led H-SC in scoring with four goals on 19 shots.
- John Glaser was the only multi-goal scorer for the Captains with two.
- Andy McGregor made 17 saves for Christopher Newport while Cody Hornung had 10.
- Brad Mostowy won 14-of-19 face-offs.
Scouting the Captains
- Christopher Newport comes in to the game having played four teams on the Tigers schedule this year but the two have only played one common opponent thus far.
- CNU lost 12-9 to W&L but beat Randolph 12-1 and R-MC 12-4. The Captains then dropped their home opener 10-9 against Mary Washington.
- The Captains were leading W&L 5-2 at halftime in Lexington, VA, but the Generals erupted for a seven-goal third quarter.
- John Thompson is making a name for himself as a top notch playmaker, having dished out 12 assists through four contests. He has also scored six goals, the second best mark on the team.
- Aaron Chrzaszcz leads the team in goals with 8 and also has 12 assists.
- Ari Elgort leads the team in face-offs with 50 attempts but has won just 22. Meanwhile Nick Mandros has gone 17-for-25 on face-offs. Elgort has only won over 50% of his face-offs once this season after winning 62.2% a year ago.