skip navigation

Tiger Lax Turns in Impressive Defensive Performance in 14-5 Win over Catholic

James Hughes
James Hughes

WASHINGTON, DC - The Hampden-Sydney Lacrosse team held Catholic scoreless for nearly 36 minutes in an impressive defensive performance that catapulted the Tigers to a 14-5 win on the road at Catholic University.

Despite the long scoreless drought for Catholic, the first quarter proved to be a shootout. Following a Catholic turnover on a failed clear at the 12 minute mark, H-SC wasted no time making the Cardinals pay for the mistake as Jake Koferl (Huntersville, NC / Lake Norman) scored his first career goal off a James Hughes (Raleigh, NC / Middle Creek) assist just 16 seconds later. A 30-second offsides penalty on Hampden-Sydney with 9:46 left in the quarter enabled Walter Hickey to score a man-up goal at the 9:22 mark.

The score gave Catholic momentum as Brendan Englert posted another goal at 7:03 and Bobby Kuspit added on one more at 5:47 to give the hosts a 3-1 advantage. H-SC struck back quick with a Hughes goal a minute later, and then Corey Mavromatis (Virginia Beach, VA / Cape Henry) tied the game at 3-3 with a man-up goal at 3:15. The end of the quarter was a thriller as John Quinnan scored with just 11 seconds left to put Catholic back up 4-3. That would not be the end of the first quarter theatrics as Brad Mostowy (Atlanta, GA / Alpharetta (GA) / Trinity Pawling (NY)) won the ensuing face-off and delivered an assist on a James Hughes goal just before the first quarter buzzer to make it a 4-4 game after 15 minutes.

The buzzer beating goal proved to be a back-breaking play for Catholic as they would not score again until there was just 9:24 left in the game. In the meantime, Hampden-Sydney's offense showed no signs of stopping with the next nine goals of the contest. Abbot Wallenborn (Crozet, VA / Western Albemarle) opened the second quarter with a score at 12:29 and Ryan Martin (Midlothian, VA / Cosby) scored what would what would prove to be the game-winner at 8:04. Mike Funk (Chantilly, VA / Middleburg) scored the last goal of the half to give H-SC a 7-4 edge going in to intermission

Unfortunately for Catholic, halftime didn't cool down the Tiger offense. Martin scored again at 13:58 and Jess Hawthorne (Richmond, VA / Collegiate) scorched the net for another goal just 38 seconds later. Hughes and Hawthorne scored a minute apart and then Funk provided the Tigers another last minute goal to make it a 12-4 game going in to the third.

The fourth quarter had all of its scoring action wrapped up in less than a minute. Austin Black (Dallas, TX / Plano) got the first goal at 9:55 and Grant Swaney (Potomac Falls, VA / St. Stephen's and St. Agnes) earned his first career score at 9:47. Catholic's Brian Keith ended the scoreless run with the last goal of the game with 9:24 remaining.

Hughes posted game-highs of three goals and two assists for five points while Martin contributed two scores and one assist. Funk and Hawthorne each contributed two goals, Wallenborn and Black each had a goal and an assist, and Mavromatis had one score and two assists. Black also tacked on five ground balls and three caused turnovers, and Mostowy went 13-19 on face-offs with eight ground balls. David Noftsinger (Richmond, VA / Collegiate Schoo) was strong in the cage with 12 saves.

Brendan Englert was the only multi-point scorer for Catholic with a goal and two assists. Patrick Pfaff and Mark Destro made a combined nine saves. 

H-SC won the ground ball battle 33-24 and took 14-21 face-offs. H-SC also outshot Catholic 35-23. The H-SC man-down defense proved stellar again, holding the Cardinals to a 1-4 output. Hampden-Sydney is now 3-17 this season when playing man down.

Hampden-Sydney travels to Delaware, Ohio, on Saturday to play Ohio Wesleyan University at 1 pm.