Game Notes | PDF Version
Hampden-Sydney (8-5 / 4-2 ODAC) vs. Christopher Newport (3-9)
Wednesday, April 18 | 4 pm | Newport News, VA
Last Time Out for the Tigers
- Hampden-Sydney beat Ferrum College 14-3 on Saturday.
- Hampden-Sydney scored the first ten goals of the game. Ferrum's three goals all came in the third quarter.
- Carter Mavromatis had a game-high four points on two goals and two assists.
- Eric Gorsline and Kyle Fox each posted two goals and one assist. David Simone had one goal and two assists.
- Other players to contribute a point included James Hughes, Nate Cundy, Thomas Armstrong, Micah Keller, Cameron Sheppard, Andrew Maser, Ryan Martin, Corey Mavromatis, Sam Rapoport, and Austin Black.
- Brad Mostowy won all seven of his face-off attempts with six ground balls. Dontae Buck was 8-13 on face-offs with four ground balls.
- Ned Bowden had a game-high four caused turnovers with five ground balls while Austin Black forced three turnovers with four ground balls.
Last Time Out for the Captains
- Christopher Newport lost 16-6 on the road at #3 Lynchburg College 16-6 on Wednesday.
- Lynchburg scored three or more goals in each quarter and led by as many as eight goals in the first half.
- Dylan Hoff had a game-high nine points on five goals and four assists to set a new career points record at Lynchburg.
- Max Voumard had three scores and one assist for LC while Ben Sauer had two goals and two assists.
- Jeff Schwartz won all 11 face-off attempts while Matt Jernack was 5-9 for LC.
- Kyle Pasta led the Captains attack with three goals and one assist. Billy Crist addded on a goal and an assist.
- Ari Elgort went just 8-26 on face-offs for the Captains.
- Dominic Gianini played nearly all of the first half the game to make nine saves while Mark Hargrove played almost the entire second-half to make four stops.
- LC outshot CNU 47-21 and the Captains went just 17-24 on clears.
- CNU got nine extra-man opportunities and scored three times, but five of those chances came in the fourth quarter.
The Last Time These Two Met
- Hampden-Sydney won 12-7 on April 20 for Senior Day.
- H-SC led just 4-3 at halftime, but scored the first four goals and the last three goals of the second half to win convincingly.
- Then senior Cole Hawthorne had five goals. Carter Mavromatis and Micah Keller each had two goals.
- Brad Mostowy was 9-19 on face-offs and Cody Hornung made 12 saves.
- H-SC had 16 caused turnovers, five from Andrew Pritzlaff and three from Cameron Sheppard.
- Seven different Captains players contributed a point.
- Ari Elgort was 11-20 on face-offs while Andy McGregor made just six saves.
In the 2012 National Ranks
- 5 - Carter Mavromatis, Career Assists, 94*
- 6 - Brad Mostowy, Career GBs, 299*
- 7 - Micah Keller, Career Goals, 144*
- 7 - Mostowy, Career GBs/Game, 6.50*
- 9 - Mostowy, Career Faceoff Wins, 446*
- 15 - Mavromatis, Assts./Game, 2.23
- 19 - Mavromatis, Career Assts./Game, 1.49*
- 23 - Mavromatis, Career Points, 163*
- 28 - Keller, Career Goals/Game, 2.32*
- 34 - Mostowy, Ground Balls/Game (6.77)
- 44 - Scoring Offense (10.92)
- 44 - Points Per Game (17.54)
- 48 - Assists Per Game (6.62)
- 49 - Man-Up Offense (0.323)
- 51 - Man-Down Defense (0.792)
- 65 - Win Percentage (0.615)
- 69 - Mavromatis, Points/Game (3.62
- )71 - Keller, Goals/Game (2.38)
- 71 - Ground Balls Per Game (43.31)
- 78 - Scoring Margin (1.31)
- 98 - Cody Hornung, GAA (9.59)
*Active Players Only
The Numbers Game
- 298 wins for Head Coach Ray Rostan.
- 63.8 winning percentage for Brad Mostowy on face-offs in the last three games.
- 32 groundballs for Mostowy in the last three contests.
- 25 points (10g, 15a) for Carter Mavromatis in ODAC games only, the third most in the conference.
- 20.8% man-up conversion percentage for H-SC opponents.
- 22 caused turnovers for Nate Norbo.
- -3 scoring margin in the first quarter
- +4 or better scoring margin in quarter two through four.
Looking at Christopher Newport
- Christopher Newport has played six ODAC opponents and boasts a 1-5 record in those contests. Their lone win over an ODAC opponent was 18-4 against Randolph.
- Their five ODAC losses are 4-7 vs. W&L, 8-11 vs. R-MC, 5-16 vs. Roanoke, 6-11 vs. VWC, and 6-16 vs. Lynchburg.
- Their one other common opponent to date is Mary Washington, who they lost to 5-6. H-SC lost to UMW 7-10.
- CNU has just three double-digit goal scorers: John Glaser (20g), Kyle Pasta (16g), and Rob Koster (14g).
- The Captains do not have one single player with double digit assists.
- CNU has a 24.6% shot percentage and are just 28% on man-up opportunities.
- The Captains are 80% on clears and 64% on face-offs.