skip navigation

Virginia Wesleyan Nips Hampden-Sydney 78-77

Five Tiger Seniors
Five Tiger Seniors

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA - Chris Teasley nailed a pull-up 12-foot jumper with seconds left to give Virginia Wesleyan a 78-77 win against Hampden-Sydney on Wednesday night.

The game proved to be a tale of two different halves. Hampden-Sydey led the entire first half but the stanza was back and forth with neither team able to grasp full control of the game until there was two minutes left in the half. After Chris Astorga made two free throws to make it a 35-30 Tigers lead, Khobi Williamson (Norfolk, VA / Maury) ran down the middle of the defense for an uncontested dunk. Kodie Critzer (Charlottesville, VA / St. Anne's-Belfield) then drained a three-pointer with 46 seconds left to make it a 40-30 Hampden-Sydney advantage going in to the half.

Following a Harrison George (Raleigh, NC / Leesville Road) layup that gave H-SC a 51-39 advantage with 15:28 left, the Marlins went on the game-changing run. The VWC defense clamped down and used dribble penetration to score 15 of the next 17 points in less than three minutes to take a 54-53 lead at the 12:46 mark. The run didn't stop there, however, as they extended it out to a 27-5 run to go up 66-56 with 8:41 left.

Following a Sedric Nady three at the 7:09 mark to give the Marlins a 69-58 lead, Hampden-Sydney got back in to the game with its own 11-0 spurt in under three minutes. The Tigers capped the run wth a Keegan Wetzel (Mebane, NC / Eastern Alamance) three pointer to take the lead 70-69 with 4:34 remaining. Nady answered Wetzel's three with one of his own, and a Teasley free throw put Virginia Wesleyan back ahead 73-70 with under three minutes to go. Mike Murray (Norfolk, VA / Norfolk Christian) came down and scored a layup, but Colby Heard answered with a jumper to keep it a three-point contest at 2:35. George came down and made two free throws of his own while Teasley made one of his two attempts as the score stood at 76-74 with 1:59 left.

Neither team was able to score again until 35 seconds left on the clock when Murray banked in a three-pointer jumper from the top of the key with the shot clock about to expire to put Hampden-Sydney up 77-76 with 35 seconds left on the clock. Teasley then drained the game-winning jumper with seven seconds left. Williamson was able to get a 10-foot jumper off before time expired, but it bounced off the front of the rim.

George posted a game-high 24 points, making 10-18 field goals and 4-5 free throws. Williamson added on 18 points along with a game-high nine rebounds as he made eight of his 10 shot attempts. Murray contributed eight points and four steals.

D.J. Woodmore led Virginia Wesleyan with 17 points and six rebounds, making only 4-of-11 field goals but a perfect 7-for-7 at the foul line. Teasley and Nady each contributed 13 points while Chris Astorga added nine points and five rebounds.

Hampden-Sydney shot 47.6% (30-63) overall, 33.3% (4-12) from three, and 68.4% (13-19) from the free throw line. Virginia Wesleyan went 42.9% (24-56) from the floor, 37.5% (9-24) from deep range, and 84% (21-25) at the foul line. VWC had 15 turnovers to 13 for H-SC, but H-SC turned the Marlins' tunovers into 16 points compared to just nine points off turnovers for VWC. The Tigers also held an 18-8 advantage in second chance points and dominated the paint with a 40-18 advantage in points off turnovers

Hampden-Sydney closes out the regular season on the road at Emory & Henry on Saturday at 2 pm.