Game Notes: Tigers Gear Up For Regular Season Finale Showdown with #23 R-MC
Game Notes | PDF Version
Preview | Game 25 | Senior Day
Hampden-Sydney (17-7, 10-5 ODAC) vs. #23 Randolph-Macon (20-4, 12-3 ODAC)
Saturday, February 18 | 2:00 pm | S. Douglas Fleet Gymnasium
Last Time Out for the Tigers
• Hampden-Sydney lead 35-32 at halftime, but the Guilford Quakers rallied in the second half by the tune of 51 points to claim a 83-72 victory.
• The Tigers fall to 17-7 overall and 10-5 in ODAC play.
• Harrison George led all Tigers with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
• Ru White was solid with 13 points, eight rebounds, and three blocks.
• Khobi Williamson snared seven boards to go with 12 points, and Ben Jessee added 10.
• Gabriel Lowder paced the Quakers with a game-high 18 points.
• Josh Pittman and Will Freeman added 16 and 11 points, respectively.
• Carson Sullivan and Matt McCarthy each scored 10.
• Hampden-Sydney shot 44.8% from the floor (26-of-58) and 26.9% (7-of-26) from beyond the arc
• The Quakers shot 48.3% (28-of-58) from the floor and 41.7% (10-of-24) from three.
Last Time Out for the Jackets
• Randolph-Macon improved to 20-4 overall and 12-3 in ODAC play after downing Ferrum 72-60 on Wednesday.
• The win was the third straight for the Yellow Jackets.
• Andre Simon led the way with 15 points off the bench.
• Marcus Badger and Jamie Robinson added 12 and 11 points, respectively.
• Calvin Croskey and Lamar Giggetts each scored 10 and combined for 13 rebounds.
• Ferrum's Marcus Mayo scored a game-high 25 points while connecting on 11 of his 20 field goal attempts.
• Nick English was the only other Panther in double figures with 12 points.
• As a team, Randolph-Macon was 25-of-61 (41.0%) from the floor, 4-of-17 (23.5%) from three, and 18-of-20 (90.0%) from the foul line.
• Ferrum was 25-of-62 (40.3%) from the floor, 5-of-12 (41.7%) from three, and 5-of-6 (83.3%) from the foul line.
The Last Time These Two Met
• Hampden-Sydney had its four game win streak snapped with an 86-80 to Randolph-Macon in Ashland on January 21.
• The Tigers fell to 13-4 overall and 7-2 in ODAC play.
• Randolph-Macon built an 11 point lead with just under 15 minutes to play in the contest, but the Tigers were able to tie the game at 69-69 with 4:30 to play.
• The Jackets, however, reclaimed the lead and held on for victory.
• Ben Jessee led the Tigers with 17 points while Cam Anderson added 12.
• Sasha Obradovic poured in 11 points off the bench while going 5-of-7 from the floor.
• R-MC saw five players score in double figures, including a game-high 18 from Andre Simon.
• Hampden-Sydney shot 43.8% from the floor (28-of-64) and 42.1% (8-of-19) from beyond the arc.
• The Jackets shot 51.9% (28-of-54) from the floor and 43.8% (7-of-16) from three.
Senior Guard Ben Jessee
• Jessee has been a major contributor all four years of his career.
• Has played in 105 career games with 76 starts and scored at least 10 points 61 times.
• Boasts a career scoring average of 10.7 points-per-game, and is enjoying his best scoring year this season at 11.3 points-per-game.
• His 1,128 points rank him 32nd in school history.
• Has been a solid shooter, connecting on over 42% of his field goal attempts, over 37% of his three point attempts with 209 makes, and over 85% of his free throws.
• Also a solid passer, Jessee has dished out 187 assists to 159 turnovers.
• Has recorded 84 steals.
• Career-high in scoring came as a freshman with 23 points against Virginia Wesleyan.
• Snared a career-high seven boards as a junior against Roanoke, and had a career-high eight assists that same season against Methodist.
Senior Forward Ru White
• Two year player who made an immediate impact starting in 46 of his 49 appearances.
• Has scored at least 10 points 30 times with a career average of 10.9 points-per-game.
• Recorded 35 steals and 31 blocks in his first season with the Tigers.
• Has notched three double-doubles including one this season.
• Has dished out three assists on 23 occasions.
• Snaring 5.6 rebounds-per-game for his career.
• Has dished out 128 assists to 118 turnovers with 68 steals and 45 blocks.
• Solid scorer who has connected on 51.5% of his field goal attempts.
• Averaged 12.8 points- and 6.0 rebounds-per-game in his first year with the team.
• Posted a career-high 23 points last season against EMU and 14 boards against E&H.
Looking at Randolph-Macon
• Stands second in ODAC play at 20-4 overall and 12-3 in conference.
• Currently ranked 23rd in the nation according to D3Hoops.com.
• Well balanced offensive attack that sees four players average between 11 and 13 points-per-game.
• Calvin Croskey is their top scorer at 12.4 points-per-game while leading the way in three point percentage (40.7%).
• Rookie Marcus Badger is dishing out a team-high 3.6 assists-per-game.
• Lamar Giggetts (12.3 ppg), Adam Desgain (11.9 ppg), and Andre Simon (11.3 ppg) are key contributors.