Game Notes: Tiger Hoops Travels to Guilford for Wednesday ODAC Action
Game Notes | PDF Version
Hampden-Sydney (17-6, 10-4 ODAC) vs. Guilford (16-7, 10-4 ODAC)
Wednesday, February 15 | 7:00 pm | Ragan-Brown Field House
Last Time Out for the Tigers
• Hampden-Sydney erased a 12 point halftime deficit to tie the game at 71-71, but #3 Virginia Wesleyan hit a lay up at the buzzer to go up 73-71 and snap a three-game win streak for the Tigers.
• The Tigers fall to 17-6 overall and 10-4 in ODAC play.
• Harrison George led all scorers with 24 points on 8-of-11 shooting.
• Ben Jessee was the only other Tiger in double figures with 15 points.
• Khobi Williamson notched seven points to go with a team-high 10 rebounds.
• Donald Vaughn paced the Marlins with 23 points and 12 rebounds.
• D.J. Woodmore and Tre' Ford combined for 29 points.
• Hampden-Sydney shot 47.4% from the floor (27-of-57) and 37.5% (3-of-8) from beyond the arc
• The Marlins shot 39.7% (27-of-68) from the floor and 33.3% (4-of-12) from three.
Last Time Out for the Quakers
• Guilford fell to 16-7 overall nad 10-4 in ODAC play after falling 67-58 at Randolph College on Saturday.
• The loss snapped a two-game win streak for the Quakers.
• Josh Pittman led the Quakers with 20 points, eight rebounds, and four assists.
• Gabriel Lowder added 10 points, three assists, and two steals.
• Will Freeman was the top scorer off the bench for Guilford with nine points on 3-of-5 shooting.
• Randolph's Mike Ehilegbu scored a game-high 22 points while connecting on five of his seven three point attempts.
• Colton Hunt added 15 points, six assists, five steals, and four rebounds.
• As a team, Guilford was 21-of-52 (40.4%) from the floor, 7-of-27 (25.9%) from three, and 9-of-14 (64.3%) from the foul line.
•Randolph was 23-of-53 (43.4%) from the floor, 7-of-20 (35.0%) from three, and 14-of-16 (87.5%) from the foul line.
The Last Time These Two Met
• Hampden-Sydney downed the Quakers 73-61 in Fleet Gymnasium on February 16, 2011.
• The win capped off a seven game win streak for the Tigers.
• Four Tigers scored in double figures including a team-high 18 points from Ben Jessee.
• Harrison George was one rebound shy of a double-double with 16 points and nine boards.
• Ru White and Randall Ward added 13 and 12 points, respectively.
• Josh Pittman poured in a game-high 24 points, and Tobi Akinsola was the only other Quaker in double figures with ten points.
• Brad Monroe scored eight points to go with a game-high 12 rebounds.
• Hampden-Sydney shot 49.0% from the floor (25-of-51) and 44.0% (11-of-25) from beyond the arc.
• The Quakers shot 42.1% (24-of-57) from the floor and 38.5% (8-of-12) from beyond the arc.
Looking at Guilford
• Tied with the Tigers for third in the ODAC at 10-4 in conference play.
• Led by a talented back court of Gabriel Lowder (13.6 ppg) and Josh Pittman (13.3 ppg; 2011 First Team All-ODAC).
• Pittman leads the team in assists (2.8), steals (1.7), and minutes (29.1).
• Forward Brad Monroe is fifth in the league in rebounds with 7.1 per-game to go with 4.8 points-per-game.
• Will Freeman and Carson Sullivan add 9.2 points- and 9.1 points-per-game, respectively.
The Final Stretch
• With two crucial games remaining against Guilford and #23 Randolph-Macon, the Tigers are in a tight contest with the top four ODAC teams.
• #7 VWC holds the top spot at 11-2; #23 Randolph-Macon is in sceond at 12-3; and Hampden-Sydney and Guilford are tied for third at 10-4.
Reaching New Heights
• Hampden-Sydney, at 17-6, holds the best record through 23 games since the 2003-04 Tigers - an ODAC Championship year.
• The Tigers also hit the ten win mark in the ODAC for the first time since 2006-07 - another ODAC Championship year.
• Hampden-Sydney has also posted back-to-back ten win seasons in Fleet for the first time since the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons.
The Numbers Game
• The Tigers have posted an impressive 20.9 point scoring margin through 23 games this season. 12 of the Tigers' 17 wins have been by 20 points of more.
• Harrison George has cracked into the top 15 of Hampden-Sydney's all time leading scorers with 1,281 points and is the 23rd player to score at least 1,200.
• Ben Jessee is 33rd on the Tigers' top scoring list with 1,118 points.
• Under Vick, Hampden-Sydney is 34-1 when scoring at least 81 points.
• The Tigers have scored 100 points 5 times this year.
• Hampden-Sydney has 3 players in the top-6 in field goal percentage in the ODAC.
• Harrison George has scored at least 20 points 29 times and posted 16 double-doubles.
• Over the past two seasons, Hampden-Sydney has posted a 22-3 record in Fleet Gymnasium.
• This season marks the 19th time the Tigers won at least 10 games in a season at Fleet.